Part-Time Pharmacist in Bowen Island
|Position Title:||Pharmacist-part time (24-32 hours per week)|
|Reporting To:||Pharmacy Manager|
Bowen Island, BC
20 minute ferry ride from West Vancouver, BC (runs every hour & fees are covered)
Join a fun, professional, and inclusive staff at a locally owned and operated pharmacy with an emphasis on community relationships. As a people-friendly business, Cates places special emphasis on counseling. In fact, its staff brings all its expertise to bear in providing personalized service.
"Bowen Island is an idyllic destination in the middle of Howe Sound, just a 20-minute ferry ride from Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver. Quiet and alluring, a short distance from Vancouver, it’s a welcome escape from the stresses of city life." - www.tourismbowenisland.com
Why this role is important?
To manage the overall operations of the Pharmacy, including providing consultation to both customers and health care providers, practice to full scope in providing professional services, dispensing medication, and assisting in the maintenance of the dispensary.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Pharmacy and Customer Service
- Acknowledge all customers approaching the Pharmacy, offer assistance promptly and in a courteous and professional manner
- Practice within federal/provincial, regulatory/legal requirements, provincial Code of Ethics, Standards of Practice, and Policies, demonstrating professional integrity and acting to uphold a high level of professional standard of practice
- Ensure all privacy requirements are met, including customer confidentiality and consent management
- Provide counselling on prescriptions, over the counter/behind the counter products and all health related issues, including but not limited to indications, contra-indications, adverse effects, drug interactions and dosage
- Practice to full extent of expanded scope with Professional Services, within your capability
- Be clearly identifiable to the public
- Ensure accuracy and appropriateness of all prescriptions dispensed
- Communicate with other health care professionals within the circle of care to provide optimal customer care
- Maintain all records required in accordance with legislation, standards of practice, and policy, i.e. customer records, narcotic and controlled drug records
- Promote health and wellness and educate customers and as appropriate, engage with customers both in and outside the store through community events, clinics etc.
- Provide timely and positive resolutions to customer needs and requests from other healthcare providers
- Promote Pharmacy campaigns, programs and services as appropriate
Workflow and Inventory Management
- Control access to the dispensary with respect to inventory and patient confidentiality
- Review and maintain Workflow Queues on a daily basis
- Review of stock to identify expired inventory
- Oversight of current stock levels and medication orders from wholesaler
- Ensure all requirements for documentation and control of substances under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act and Regulations are met and reporting to Health Canada and regulatory bodies as necessary is completed
- Ensure proper preparation, packaging, distribution and storage of all inventory including those that require special handling and training, these could include but are not limited to vaccines, serums, biological and other drugs and pharmaceuticals
- Ensure entry/pickup workstations, counselling/waiting areas, and work islands reflect an appropriate image of the Pharmacy
- Ensure inventory is placed in appropriate areas
- At shift change, communicate all outstanding issues to corresponding team members
- Ensure all Pharmacy team members are in compliance with the uniform policy
- Involvement with financial reports as appropriate
- Identify and report business-building opportunities, both internally and externally, and action where appropriate
Leadership & Supervision
- Ensure pharmacy team works cohesively to complete necessary activities
- Support ongoing training for all Pharmacy team members
Education & Professional Licensing
- Valid license to practice in the province
Experience, Skills & Qualifications
- Independent thinking and decision making - makes decisions when dealing with issues or problems
- Plan, coordinate and delegate assignments and provide coaching to Pharmacy colleagues
- Proven ability to drive and build the business, lead by example and support enterprise programs
- Prioritize activities quickly in response to changing initiatives
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to providing exceptional customer service
- Superior customer relations skills and a strong sense of professionalism
- Strong problem-solving skills including experience formulating and executing action plans
- Strong personal computing skills and knowledge of Pharmacy systems a definite asset
- Ensure all Health & Safety procedures are followed to provide a healthy and safe work environment for all colleagues
- Complete mandatory training and voluntary continuing education workshops, as needed
The above statement reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions and duties as required for proper evaluation of the job and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Why work at Cates Medicine Centre on Bowen Island?
Staff at our pharmacy would answer this question with another question: Why would anyone work in the hustle and bustle of the crowded city when you can have meaningful relationships with people from this tightly knit community and work in the relaxing environment of a beautiful island, yet be so close to the mainland!
At Cates, we emphasize employee wellness and workplace fulfilment while we, as a cohesive team, strive to deliver the highest quality care and service to our appreciative community!
As a pharmacist on Bowen Island, you can continue to monitor the health and well-being of your regular patients while providing welcoming service to tourists and new customers alike. You will, in turn, be treated to a rewarding list of benefits, competitive salary, commuting allowance, and employee appreciation events.
If you're looking to expand your horizons and experience a wonderful chapter in your career, we look forward to hearing from you! We are looking to find the right fit for this position as soon as possible!
Part-time hours: 24-32 per week
Please forward your resume with a covering letter to
Expected start date: as soon as possible. This position will be open until filled.